Wednesday, January 5, 2011

warhol

I first learned about Andy Warhol by reading The Babysitter's Club #49: Claudia and the Genius on Elm Street, wherein Claudia decides to paint junk food, inspired by Warhol's paintings of soup cans. As a seven year old, my lasting impression of him was that he was an artist guy who was maybe dead? And he liked to eat? And he had to be kinda famous since Claudia knew about him and she lived in Stoneybrook, Conneticut.

My introduction to him in college quickly erased most of these ideas except the first--after watching several documentaries and interviews, I quickly realized that I could not stand watching Andy Warhol talk about himself. I definitely admired his work, but any time I had to listen to him I did the mental equivalent of plugging my ears and going "lalalalaaalaalsgldasgae3rh;'l". My lingering childhood self wondered if Claudia (who I worshiped in my younger years) knew that he was kind of a douchebag, and whether that affected how cool she actually was.

So, much to my surprise, this week I have learned something new about Warhol: I enjoy (or at least can tolerate??) reading him talking about himself.

"The movies make emotions look so strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it's like watching television--you don't feel anything."
--From The Philosophy of Andy Warhol
When I read that, my mind (in its first-week-back-to-school sludge) metaphorically imploded. It's a weird experience to see a vague, semi-private thought of your own laid down on paper by someone you've never met--someone who died before you were even born. And as I kept on reading, he kept on making more and more sense to me, when in the past my thoughts on his ideas and processes have mainly been "uhhhhhh what is happening wait" followed by blank staring.

So! Andy Warhol. I don't want to fall into the trap of proclaiming I now have a better understanding of him, since I generally believe he was trying purposely not to make sense. I am somewhere in-between my first babysitter's club impression and my viewing of The Life & Times of Andy Warhol: Superstar. Less direct avoidance and more of a wary agreement to stand next to him at a party, but not actually make eye contact or speak. And maybe pass him a glass of wine or something.

2 comments:

  1. Krissy,
    Your thoughts and impressions of Andy Warhol are amusing and very relatable. Though, I did not discover Warhol through the babysitters club I didn't have much of a clear image of who he was as an artist until college aswell.
    I look forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more media saturated we get, them more Warhol makes sense. He managed to encapsulate something shocking about banal pop culture.

    ReplyDelete