Thursday, January 13, 2011

rhyme on herzog

I found Herzog's ideas to be very easy to relate to! He was very direct, which I liked--he kept it simple. Though upon viewing the commentary for Stroszek it did become clear (as J&J said) that he has a definite narrative to how he discusses his ideas and work--he said many things almost verbatim from the article, which gave me a really weird deja-vu vibe as we were watching.

Growing up on comics and cartoons, narrative is generally a part of my own art; I never seem to escape from it, even if it's only a personal one not obvious to anyone else. I think part of my attraction to Herzog's way of thinking is that it's clear he concentrates on narrative, even when answering questions. His words are concise, they flow together, they have a point and they come to a logical conclusion! This boggles my mind. I find it so difficult to do when speaking about my own projects.

I'm always fascinated when artists talk about their own influences, and that was most definitely my favorite part of the interview, the part that grabbed my attention the most. This quote in particular:
"Encountering Segers was as if someone had reached out with his hand across time and touched my shoulders." --Herzog on Herzog
I talked about this in my last post as well. That sense of connection between you and someone who doesn't even exist anymore, someone who had no idea you were going to exist--that's powerful. As an artist, there definitely is the sense that you shouldn't copy or imitate others, which--for me!--often leads to completely rejecting those who inspire me out of fear. But at the same time I feel incredibly creative when looking at other things, not even necessarily art related: design, music, family photos, weird things like the Animorphs books and my cat. Point being whatevs, haters gonna hate and I've gradually stopped worrying about this issue so much, and I definitely appreciated the time and care Herzog spent describing from who and what he draws inspiration.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love how Herzog's pose "inspired" you to create a similar one of your own (your picture)! I love it :)
    Anyway, as for your post, I agree with the fact it is extremely interesting and fascinating how artists and other famous people talk about their own influences and how they were initially inspired by other famous people. Whether it be painters, artists, filmmakers, actors or even ordinary individuals, one is always inspired by another, which motivates him/her to pursue something.
    Hence, it certainly is powerful when you think about the indirect, yet extremely strong connection that an individual has with someone that he/she admires. It makes you wonder what it would be like if people simply withdrew from inspirations and tried to live on their own. Would that make them think differently from the others, or perhaps even label them as outcasts for having diverse ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That same quote was one of the points that originally caught my interest, so I can relate to your intrigue about Herzog's influences.

    I think it is important to note how straight forward and consistent his answers are though I think this is also a good way for him to limit the information or understanding about his films. When he answers the same, it seems like many will put more stock in what he says, but I think those things that he never talks about might be more interesting sometimes.

    I know this has been covered already as well, but I think the photo choice is appropriate too. I opened your blog as soon as I saw that photo because it seems to fit well with thoughts you expressed in your presentation. One might say this foreshadows the work to come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nce way to look at things. You are absolutely right. Haters will hate, regardless. Especially if you are gifted and talented enough in your craft. So as another artist, I am glad to see you gradually shifted away from the idea of rejecting those who inspire you, out of fear. I think if you embrace it,it can do nothing but improve your visions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pair of photos reflects on the ongoing dialog between today's artists (or artisan's) and those way back in time. Especially intense as these posts go into the ether...

    ReplyDelete